Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Storytime @ Studio Place Arts

Not long after Christmas, I received an invitation from Janet Van Fleet to submit work for an exhibit titled "Storytime" at Studio Place Arts in Barre.
The opening is next Friday, March 9th, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.  (Show info is at the end of my post here.)


Now I've had the chance to meet Janet in person, and I think the word is:  Cool.
I especially love her sculptures (check them out!)  You may recall that she was kind enough to mention me in her latest Art Hop review.   Well, she accepted "Creature and Healer" into the exhibit, so I will be in my second show at S.P.A.  And in good company, too:  Beth Robinson of Strangedolls will be there!


Creature and Healer (detail) ©Sweet Enemy Art 2012
The first art-outing that my friend G and I took was actually to see Janet's show @Flynndog Gallery in Burlington a few years back.  What we encountered was a long hallway completely filled with art on wheels.  Trains of wooden sculpture that had me itching to get in and play.
And so we did, and this was my first experience guiding someone without sight around art.  Thankfully I didn't do anything too stupid that time, just, y'know, had her exploring some of the male figures before I realized that they were rather anatomically correct!  These are rather rough figures, but still, G got a good laugh out of that one.  Thank goodness...
In recounting this to Janet yesterday, she did say that there do tend to be quite a few male appendages in her work.  (Please note I'm being genteel for your tender sensibilities.)  I think I'm going to like getting to know her!


March 6 - April, 2012
In the Main & Second Floor Galleries:
Storytime: The human impulse to construct narratives is explored through painting, video, sculpture, photography, and published materials.
In the Third Floor Gallery:
Never Forget: A group, multi-media show on the creative journey of women.
This exhibit is supported by the Vermont Committee of the National Museum of Women in the Arts

Opening Reception: Friday March 9th, 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. 

No comments: